Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kensington Market Group Exhibition




August 21- September 1, 2013
Opening reception: Thursday August 22. 7-10pm
Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts is proud to host this exhibition featuring well known Kensington based artists, some of the collectives working in the Market, and Propeller members.

I've submitted two works for this exhibition, "Irregular Space I" and "Irregular Space II".


Irregular Space I, conté on paper, 48"x105", display @ Propeller

   
Irregular Space II, marker on canvas, 60"x 96", display @ Orbital Arts

Notes:
I've drawn "Irregular Space I" after a school art trip to Germany in 2010. Then "Irregular Space II" after a visit to Kensington market recently, followed the similar process as "Space I". 

Kensington Market had always been an irregular space for me, a space that is out of the norm. It reminds me of someone who had resisted conformity and developed strong characteristics. The two drawings feature Kensington Market, Museums, Train Stations and airports, thinking spaces, laundry machines, food stands, etc. These places integrate into our lives by penetrating their identity (of the neighbourhood or city) in us as we are building their identity at the same time. 


Special thanks to:
Tai Kim, Propeller Artist who organized the event!

@ 984 Queen St. W

@ 275 Augusta Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment